Written by guest blogger Denise Deby, who has worked in international and community development on social and environmental issues.
There’s still a summer and fall to go before the 2010 municipal election on October 25, but Ecology Ottawa is already encouraging action on the environmental issues that our council needs to address.
They suggest a number of things we can do to remind councillors and candidates that we’re paying attention:
- Check out the mayor’s and councillors’ records on the environment;
- Send councillors a message about your environmental concerns (you can use Ecology Ottawa’s online or mail-in postcard);
- Join the Ecology Ottawa Facebook group for your ward;
- Fill out a survey on what you think are Ottawa’s environmental priorities;
- Check out Ecology Ottawa’s policy proposals;
- Volunteer in one of several ways, like research, outreach, or event organisation;
- Attend a community meeting on the environment for Orléans, on July 6 from 6:30-8:30 pm at the Orléans-Cumberland Community Resource Centre, 210 Centrum Blvd.
One more thing to check out: Ecology Ottawa’s new blog on environmental issues and actions that everyone can take (they’re also looking for bloggers).