Written by guest blogger Denise Deby, who writes on local and global social and environmental issues.
Here are more environment-related events this month that have come to our attention:
- National Wildlife Week is April 10-16, with the Canadian Wildlife Federation’s second annual Walk for Wildlife. Events in Ottawa include a walk in the South March Highlands on Saturday, April 16 at 11 a.m. Meet at the corner of Klondike Rd. and Second Line Rd. Contact Deanna Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- ORIGINALS – The Spring Craft Sale, with over 180 artists, artisans and designers, runs April 14-17 at Lansdowne Park. Thursday, April 14 will feature a “green” fashion show with fashions and accessories made from recycled materials by Canadian designers (7 p.m.). The Sale runs Thursday and Friday 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- ECO EXPO: Ottawa Healthy Living Show will be held on Earth Day Weekend, Saturday and Sunday, April 23-24, from 10 am to 4 pm at the RA Centre, 2451 Riverside Drive in Ottawa. “Our mantra is: Go Green, Eat Local, Be Healthy.” In addition to a wide selection of local exhibitors the show will include a series of informative workshops and presentations.
- Earth Day Ottawa will hold a free concert with Amanda Rheaume and Jeff Logan on Thursday, April 21 7-9 p.m., and a children’s concert on Friday, April 22 1:30-2:30 p.m., both at the Museum of Nature. The Museum is free on Earth Day, April 22. See the Earth Day Ottawa website for other Earth Day events.
- Diana Beresford-Kroeger, author of The Global Forest, will speak on the healing power of trees Thursday, April 28 at 7:30 p.m. at the Museum of Nature. Reserve on arrival at reception or in advance at 613-566-4791 or email@example.com.
- Just Food is offering beginner-level Organic Vegetable Growing Workshops at various locations around the city. Cost $5.00 or pay what you can. There’s one Wednesday, April 27 6-8 p.m. at the Centretown Community Health Centre, 420 Cooper between Bank St. & Kent St. Contact Susannah Juteau at 613-233-4443 x 2198 to reserve a spot. Check Just Food’s website for upcoming workshops on this and other food- and gardening-related topics.
- Ottawa Veg Fest ’11, presented by the National Capital Vegetarian Association and The Table Vegetarian Restaurant will feature vegetarian (vegan) food. The festival will include over 30 exhibitors, guest speakers, a silent auction, food demonstrations and a vegan cupcake challenge. It takes place Sunday, May 1 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the Glebe Community Centre, 175 Third Avenue. Free admission.
- As previously posted, the Canadian Museum of Nature’s celebration of Earth Month and the National Capital Wildlife Festival continue throughout April, with speakers, workshops, nature walks and more.