Written by guest blogger Denise Deby, who writes on local and global social and environmental issues.
There’s a cornucopia of events in Ottawa in late August – many to do with food – including several on Sunday, August 14. Let me know if you find a way to make it to all of them!
- The next Ottawa Urban Wild Tour is on Sunday, August 14 from 10 a.m.-12 noon. This one is on Urban Edible Tree Nuts in Centretown (meet at Ottawa City Hall, Lisgar Street entrance).
- Canadian Organic Growers-Ottawa is holding its Ottawa Garden Tour on Sunday, August 14. Activities include a tour at noon of the Organic Flower and Vegetable Garden on the Central Experimental Farm and a 2 p.m. visit to the Fletcher Wildlife Garden. Details on the COG-Ottawa website; contact Lloyd at 613-257-8362 or firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
- Pinhey’s Point hosts Riverfest celebrating the history of the Ottawa River on Sunday, August 14. The event includes heritage demonstrations (sheepshearing or blacksmithing, anyone?), voyageur canoe rides, wagon rides, a canoe ballet, live music, a barbecue and more. Riverfest is 11 a.m.-4 p.m. at 270 Pinhey’s Point Road in Dunrobin. Admission $6 per person ($10 for two or $16 per family); see the City’s website for details.
- Also on Sunday, August 14, the National Capital Vegetarian Association has its first summer BBQ and potluck from 11:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. at Vincent Massey Park. The event will feature vegan food and is free for kids, $1 for NCVA members and $3 for non-members. See their Facebook page for details.
- The Community Gardening Network of Ottawa has a couple of events coming up. On Tuesday, August 23 there’s a Seed Saving Workshop from 6-8 p.m. at the Centretown Community Health Centre, 420 Cooper Street. Greta from Greta’s Organic Seeds will explain how to save seeds from year to year. On Sunday, August 25, the Urban Agriculture Bike Tour starts at 11 a.m. The tour will pass through several of Ottawa’s community gardens; snacks will be provided. Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for information or to register.