Written by guest blogger Denise Deby, who writes on local and global social and environmental issues.
The people at Apartment613 have lots of good ideas, but this time they’ve outdone themselves. They’re making November “Support Local” month in Ottawa. And they’re talking not just local food but also local musicians, artists, restaurants and businesses.
They’ve set up a series of events throughout the month—a list too long to replicate here but do check out their website. Some examples:
- The Ottawa Craft Crawl – a series of craft shows (various dates and locations) that include natural, hand-made and local crafts, starting with Urban Craft at the GCTC on Nov. 5;
- Homemade, all-natural ice cream by Pascale and watercolour art by Doug Wilkinson at Octopus Books, Nov. 10;
- Ef Magazine’s Swapalooza Clothing Swap at Bowich – Best Organic Sandwich, Nov. 18;
- Beer and ‘Za at Kichesippi Brewery with The Flatbread Pizza Company, Nov. 19;
- Postcards from Ottawa at Raw Sugar Café – write to your friends and family telling them how great Ottawa is, Nov. 26.
You can also let Apartment613 know if you have ideas for other events (email editors [at] apt613 [dot] ca with “Support Local” in the subject line).