Written by Denise Deby.
If you’d like to hone your gardening skills, check out these spring opportunities.
The Community Gardening Network of Ottawa is holding workshops on several useful topics:
- Beginner Organic Vegetable Gardening – no-pesticide gardening basics
- Natural Pest Control – chemical-free ways to deal with what ails your garden
- Square Foot Gardening – growing in a small space
- Herbal Tips and Tricks – growing plants that heal
The CGN workshops take place between April 8 and May 12, 2015 at various community sites. See http://justfood.ca/blog/2015/03/18/spring2015_cgn_workshops/ for details and registration information.
Canadian Organic Growers Ottawa – St. Lawrence – Outaouais is holding its Urban Organic Gardening Seminars series from April 14 to May 5, 2015:
- Basics of organic growing – Soil and Composting
- Organic Seeds, Germination and Seed Saving
- Organic Container Veggie Gardening
- Organic Edible Ornamentals including Edible Flowers and Herbs
- Organic In-ground Veggie Gardening
- Designing an Urban Garden to support Pollinators, Pest Eaters and Pest Deterrents
With the COG-OSO seminars, which take place at City Hall, you can sign up for any of the sessions, or all seven as a package. See http://cog.ca/ottawa/urban-organic-gardening-seminars/ for details and how to register.
Master Gardeners of Ottawa-Carleton offers a few gardening workshops, as well as advice through their free help line.
Kinburn Farms (about half an hour from Ottawa) hosts hands-on workshops on seeds, basic gardening and more.
If you’re interested in learning about wild edible plants, check out The Wild Garden’s spring plant walks and classes on healing plants.
Some inspiration while we wait for spring!